ORANGE HIGH ANTI-OXIDANT SMOOTHIE MEAL
Nutrient Rich, High Fiber
DISCLAIMER – This recipe does not provide medical or legal advice. This recipe is for information purposes only. Viewing this recipe, receipt of information contained in this recipe, or the transmission of information from or to this recipe does not constitute a physician-patient or attorney-client relationship. The medical and/or nutritional information in this recipe is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read in this recipe.
Note: Glycemic Load (GL) is listed for each ingredient for pre-diabetics & diabetics. GL of 10 or less is considered low; 11-20 intermediate & above 20 is high.
** Core ingredients that are critical to overall health. Other ingredients should be added depending on the health issue you are trying to manage. For example, if you need the highest anti-oxidant combinations because you are or have been a cancer patient, then Acai Pulp & Sumac Bran should be added to the core ingredients. Our Cacao (chocolate) recipe has the highest anti-oxidant rating.
## Critical for WOMEN’S HEALTH. For example, every smoothie meal should have green tea + steamed mushrooms because a 2007 research in the International Journal of Cancer has revealed that a combination of green tea & mushrooms reduced the risk of breast cancer as much as 80% in a sample group of 1000+ pre & post-menopausal women.
This Smoothie Meal is high in potassium-rich foods.
**100% Pure Orange Juice – high in citric acid & potassium GL=9 pump
**100% Pomegranate Juice – high in antioxidants GL=8
Tart Cherry Juice – naturally rich in melatonin, a hormone responsible for sleepiness = essential when you have a cold or the flu.
Organic Night Time Tea Blend – chamomile, passion flower, etc., to assist with sleep
**Coconut Water – hydrates, heart healthy with significant amounts of potassium, electrolytes, enzymes, etc. GL=3
** Purified or Spring Water – Critical to digestion and hydration.
**Orange Vegetable Protein Powder – Vega Tropical Tango -> Preferred = Vegan, all vegetable proteins, stevia sweetener, etc.; Fruitein Banana Orange Crème, Spiru-Tein Tangerine Dream Tripart Protein Blend)
**Flax & Chia Seeds/Powder – High in fiber, calcium, &anti-oxidants, vegetables with GL = 1.
- Chia Seeds have 10 health benefits (e.g., vegetable with the highest concentration of Omega 3, blood sugar regulation, high in antioxidants, fiber, etc) -> The Reseach
- Flax Seeds Meal or Powder – health benefits = the highest concentration of plant lignans (anti-cancer ingredients) -> The Research
- Purchase from a high-end grocery or health food store, or purchase online.
Pumpkin Seeds – Good source of protein, oleic acid (helps lower bad LDL cholesterol and increases good HDL cholesterol in the blood), B Vitamins, Iron, Manganese (an all-important co-factor for antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase, which helps the body fight infection), Zinc, etc. Glycemic Index = 10 (Very Low)
**Dried Apricots – Much higher in potassium than bananas & lower in calories. GL = 29
**Dried Dates – sweetness, soluble fiber, high in potassium, magnesium, calcium dried, phenols, etc.). Buy at Costco, BJs, Whole Foods, etc. Medjool dates are the best (Glycemic Load = 9). Use only if you include lots of dark green vegetables in your smoothie meal;
** Dark Raw Honey – Buckwheat and Manuka honey have the highest antibacterial properties. If you can’t find them, then purchase a dark raw honey. The darker the honey, the higher the percentage of antioxidants.
Fresh Pineapple – cut into cubes including the core and freeze. A natural sweetener & contains the enzyme Bromelain, which prevents indigestion and reduces inflammation. Pineapple core has the highest concentration of Bromelain. GL = 6
** Lemon – One squeezed lemon = A small but Mighty fruit. Acidic to the taste, but alkaline to the body. High in vitamin C & potassium. Also, has thiamine, riboflavin, folate and B-6.
Grapefruit (Pink or Red) – Rich in vitamin C, lycopene, could promote weight loss, etc.
**Frozen Strawberries – Antioxidant & fiber. GL=4
**Frozen Wild Blueberries – Fiber and antioxidant – highest rated antioxidant fruit in the US. GL = 4
Kiwi Fruit – Twice as much vitamin C per 100 grams as an orange or lemon; helps induce sleep; contains an enzyme known as actinidain which aids in digestion, especially protein; high in folate (vitamin B6); one study revealed that consuming Kiwi daily by people with a cold reduced their symptoms quicker than those who didn’t. Allergies – one in 150 people are allergic to Kiwi.
**Fresh Organic Spinach [snack sized (32 oz blender) or sandwich size (64 oz blender) Zip Loc bags]. Vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6. Very good source of protein, phosphorus, vitamin E, zinc, dietary fiber, and copper. Plus, it’s a good source of selenium, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids GL = 0; OR,
**Fresh or Steamed Kale – Highest nutrient per calorie vegetables.
- Kale – One of the most complete foods. Good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. GL=3
- Steamed Kale – lowers LDL & increases HDL cholesterol;
- Place the fresh, washed Kale in snack sized (32 oz blender) or sandwich size (64 oz blender) Zip Loc bags and freeze.
## Bok Choy (Steamed or Raw) – Cruciferous vegetable = good alternative to Broccoli. Anti-cancer, 28 different polyphenols – antioxidant phytochemicals; high in calcium = body absorbs a higher percentage of calcium from Bok Choy (54%) than dairy (32%). GL=1
- Lightly steam or cook for 5 minutes = if you have a thyroid problem (e.g., hypothyroidism). Heat removes most of the goitrogens, which could exacerbate the problem; place in snack size zip plastic bags & freeze.
Fresh Baby Carrots – rich in vitamin A & beta carotene. Recent research revealed that carrots have phyto (plant) nutrients that protect against cardio-vascular disease and cancer GL=0 -> The Research.
**Organic Turmeric – 20 health benefits, e.g., anti-inflammatory (arthritis), gastro benefits, cancer, Alzheimer, fat metabolism & weight management, etc. GL=2. -> The Research.
**Ground Black Peppercorn – aids in the absorption of Organic Turmeric & other ingredients/nutrients in the smoothie, GL=1. -> The Research, OR,
Bioperine (Black Pepper Extract – Piperine). Purchase Online Here.
** ½-1 Avocado – heart-healthy monosaturated fat, more potassium than bananas, lowers LDL cholesterol & triglycerides) Healthy fats are essential to your health, especially your brain OR,
** Golden Paste – Combine the organic turmeric, EVOO or Avocado oil, & black pepper and make a paste. Click Here for the directions. Add one tablespoon of paste to the smoothie.
Nutritional Yeast (Fortified) – Complete protein (all nine amino acids); Vitamin B power house – excellent source of vitamin B12; trace minerals, such as zinc, selenium, manganese and molybdenum; antiviral & antibacterial. AVOID, if you have Crohn’s Disease.
## Steamed Mushrooms – research indicates that the White Button mushroom family, (i.e., white button, Cremini, Portobello) is especially helpful for post-menopausal women in fighting breast cancer. Oyster mushrooms are also high in antioxidants, stimulate the immune system & could also be helpful in preventing cancer. GL = 4 to 7, depending on the mushroom.
- Steam the mushrooms for at least 5 minutes to remove the hydrazines. Never eat raw White Button mushrooms because hydrazines can have a carcinogenic effect = cancer.
- Freeze & store in snack size Ziploc bags
## Organic Green Tea (mixed or steeped & then chilled) – Buy a high quality, organic green tea. One of my favorite brewed green teas is Mushroom Wisdom Mai Green Tea because it is a combo of Japanese Tea Specialty Premier Green Tea (Matcha) and Maitake Mushrooms. Order Here, if you can’t find it locally.
- Matcha Green Tea powder (from Japan) is one of the best & is very high in the anti-oxidant EGCg (epicgallocatechin gallate) which is the catechin with broadest and most potent cancer-fighting properties. One cup of Matcha allegedly has the equivalent antioxidants of 10 cups of brewed green tea. Recent research in the International Journal of Cancer has revealed that women who ate a combination of green tea & mushrooms DAILY reduced their risk of breast cancer as much as 80+% – the sample group was 1000 Asian women. Must be consumed at the same time. 2007 research in the International Journal of Cancer has revealed that a combination of green tea & mushrooms reduced the risk of breast cancer as much as 80% in a sample group of 1000+ pre & post-menopausal women; more research is still required. Some studies in Japan have shown a beneficial effect on glucose levels.
Ginger Tea – has broad-spectrum antibacterial, antiviral, antioxidant, and anti-parasitic properties. Protects against respiratory viruses. Anti-inflammatory. Peel & slice ginger root, then boil for about 20 minutes.
Elderberry Syrup – Stimulates the immune system & is effective in fighting colds, especially the flu virus. I make my own with dark raw honey, which is the best for your overall health. Do not give to children under one year because it contains raw honey. Their digestive systems are not mature enough to process it. I use the Wellness Mama recipe & substitute Ceylon cinnamon for regular cinnamon. Ceylon can be consumed without restriction.
Note: Should not consume regular cinnamon over an extended period of time. The coumarin level (blood thinning ingredient) in Ceylon cinnamon is negligibly small, while that in Cassia cinnamon is an appalling 1200 times higher.
Note: “Autoimmune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Elderberry might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of autoimmune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using elderberry. –> Reference – WebMd.com
**CEYLON Cinnamon – Anti-Clotting actions, preventing unwanted clumping of blood platelets; anti-microbial = good enough be used as a safe preservative; Blood Sugar Control, helps people with Type 2 diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin; Boosts Brain Function, cinnamon improved participants’ scores on tasks related to attentional processes, virtual recognition memory, working memory, and visual-motor speed while working on a computer-based program. GL = 1
- Ceylon Cinnamon is the best because it has less Coumarins = blood thinner. The other version, Cassia (very common) has higher levels of Coumarins and should be consumed in moderation & not over an extended period of time.
- Frontier Spices produces Ceylon cinnamon. You can find Frontier spices in Whole Foods & other high-end grocery stores. If you can’t find it locally, then Click Here to order bottle size (1.76 oz) or 16 oz size (cheaper per ounce). In fact, it may be cheaper online.
** Cod Liver Oil – most essential forms of Omega 3 (EPA & DHA), Vitamin D, natural form of Vitamin A. Enhance your immune system, fights cancer, healthier skin, etc. GL=0
- Fermented & Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil are evidently the best; however, they are expensive. I’ve had good results with Carlson’s Super D Omega 3 Cod Liver Oil. It’s cheaper when ordered online. Click Here to order via Amazon.
Note: Do not be intimidated by the number of ingredients. A full (e.g., Vitamix 64 oz) blender makes about three-four 16 oz cups, enough for 3-4 adults. Make enough for the week. Cover the cups, freeze them, and allow the smoothies to thaw in the refrigerator the day before consumption the next morning. You’ll note two portions for many ingredients. The lower number is for a 32 oz blender, and the higher number is for a 64 oz blender.
- Add one – two scoops of an orange vegetable protein powder (e.g., Vega Tropical Tango, Fruitein Banana Orange Crème, or Spiru-Tein Tangerine Dream Tripart Protein Blend)
- Add one-two tablespoons of Chia Seeds
- Add one-two tablespoons of Flax Seeds/Meal
- Add one-two tablespoons of Pumpkin Seeds
- Add one-two teaspoons of Organic Turmeric
- Add ¼ to ½ teaspoons of Ground Black Peppercorn, OR
- Add one tablespoon of Golden Paste (Turmeric + oil + black pepper)
- Add one-two teaspoons of Ceylon Cinnamon (one tablespoon, if you’re diabetic).
- Add ½-1 Avocado
- Add one-two tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast (Fortified)
- Add a handful of Organic Baby Spinach OR Kale
- Add a snack Ziploc bag size of Bok Choy
- Add approximately four oz – eight oz of Purified or Spring Water
- Add approximately four-six oz brewed & chilled, unsweetened Organic Green Tea with a ½ squeezed lemon, OR one teaspoon of Match Green Tea, mixed with ½ squeezed lemon & ¼ cup of water.
- Add 2-4 ounces of Ginger Tea
- Add 2-4 ounces of Elderberry Syrup
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Coconut Water
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of 100% Pomegranate Juice.
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Tart Cherry Juice
- Add approximately 4 ounces of 100% pure Orange Juice
- Add 4-6 ounces of an Organic Night Time Tea Blend
- Add one squeezed Lemon.
- Add ½ Red or Pink Grapefruit
- Add one Kiwi
- TURN ON THE BLENDER & GRIND INITIALLY, & THEN THOROUGHLY BLEND THESE INGREDIENTS. ADD THE ADD’L INGREDIENTS.
- Add four to five Dried Apricots
- Add Dried Dates (4-6 for 32 oz blender of ingredients; 7-9 for 64 oz blender)
- Add two tablespoons of Dark Raw Honey
- Add 4-5 pieces of Organic Baby Carrots
- Add one teaspoon (32 oz blender) or one tablespoon (64 oz blender) Cod Liver Oil
- Add 4-5 cubes of Frozen Fresh Pineapple
- Add five to six Frozen Strawberries
- Add three to four tablespoons of Frozen Wild Blueberries
- Add Steamed Mushrooms (approx 5-6 slices or two-three stalks)
- Snack size Zip Loc bag of frozen mushrooms
- TURN ON THE BLENDER & GRIND INITIALLY, & THEN THOROUGHLY BLEND THESE INGREDIENTS.
- VITAMIX or similar blender – Blend thoroughly until smooth. Will take about one-two minutes with a Vitamix; two-three minutes with a regular blender.
MAKES ABOUT four-six 12 Oz Cups. Freeze them. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and consume the next day.
Remove any ingredients to which you may be allergic, or will adversely affect pregnant women or children younger than 6 years old.
Note: First week – If you are not accustomed to a high fiber diet, then you should drink 12 oz or less to give your digestive system time to adjust to the fiber. This smoothie will make some people kings and queens as they will find themselves very often & “comfortably” seated upon the porcelain throne!! 🙂