ANTI-OXIDANT SMOOTHIE MEAL FOR WOMEN (BERRY)
Nutrient Rich, High Fiber
DISCLAIMER – This recipe does not provide medical or legal advice. This recipe is for information purposes only. Viewing this recipe, receipt of information contained in this recipe, or the transmission of information from or to this recipe does not constitute a physician-patient or attorney-client relationship. The medical and/or nutritional information in this recipe is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read in this recipe.
The scientific evidence is compelling. Populations that eat a predominantly plant-based diet and avoid dairy, processed/smoked meat, & eggs, & significantly limit their consumption of red meat, poultry, etc., live longer, more productive & disease-free lives. The U.S. ranks 45th in the world in life expectancy, mainly because of our high saturated fat, high processed foods diets. Thus, we recommend the foods that the top 10 nations eat. For example, the longest living active women are from Okinawa in Japan (ranks 2nd in life expectancy; Monaco is number one). Okinawan women have the most active centenarians. Okinawa has more people over 100 years old per 100,000 population than anywhere else in the world. One of the staples of their mainly plant-based diet is Purple Sweet Potatoes. So, we added them to our recipes. They also eat whole food soy and have less cancer, menopause, heart disease, etc., and their sex hormones remain relatively higher later in their lives. American women are four to five times more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer than Japanese women. Yet, Japanese women who move to the U.S. and adopt our diet have similar cancer rates
Note: Glycemic Load (GL) is listed for each ingredient for pre-diabetics & diabetics. GL of 10 or less is considered low; 11-20 intermediate & above 20 is high.
This Smoothie Meal is high in potassium-rich foods.
Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice
Unsweetened Almond Milk or Ripple Pea (Protein) Unsweetened Milk (Calcium, Omega 3, Vitamin D, etc.). Purchase Ripple at your local major grocery store.
Coconut Water – hydrates, heart healthy with significant amounts of potassium, electrolytes, enzymes, etc. GL=3
Beet Juice – one of the richest dietary sources of antioxidants and naturally occurring nitrates. Nitrates are compounds which improve blood flow throughout the body – including the brain, heart, and muscles. These natural nitrates increase a molecule in the blood vessels called nitric oxide, which helps open up the vessels and allows more oxygen flow as well as lower blood pressure.
Purified or Spring Water – Critical to digestion and hydration.
Berry Vegetable Protein Powder – Vega Berry Sport Protein (higher in protein) -> Preferred = Vegan, all vegetable proteins, stevia sweetener, etc. – Purchase at Whole Foods or similar store or Online Here (Cheaper online).
- ￼Purchase from a high-end grocery or health food store, or Purchase Online here.
Chia Seeds have 10 health benefits (e.g., vegetable with the highest concentration of Omega 3, blood sugar regulation, high in antioxidants, fiber, etc) -> The Research
Moringa – One of the highest antioxidant & nutrient-rich foods. 27% protein, 8 essential amino acids, 25 vitamins & minerals and other plant-based nutrients. Lowers blood sugar, antimicrobial, and good for the respiratory system. Featured on the Dr. Oz Show & the Discovery Channel documentary – a whole food that is saving African villages suffering from malnutrition. Purchase from a high-end grocery or health food store, or Purchase online.
Bananas or Dried Apricots – Much higher in potassium than bananas & lower in calories. GL = 29
Dried Dates – sweetness, soluble fiber, high in potassium, magnesium, calcium, dried, phenols, etc.). Use only if you include lots of dark green vegetables in your smoothie meal. Buy at Costco, BJs, Whole Foods, Publix, etc.
Medjool Dates are the best (Glycemic Load = 9).
Prunes & Almonds – Add this combo to prevent Osteoporosis. Your body scavenges bone for calcium = Osteoclast, & restores that bone via a process called Osteoblast. When your body loses too much bone via Osteoclast, then you start to develop Osteopenia and eventually Osteoporosis. Ironically, two foods keep this process in balance - Almonds inhibit Osteoclast & Prunes ”up regulate” bone formation (Osteoblast).
Dulse Seaweed Flakes or Nori Sheets – high in iodine (critical to Thyroid health), iron and potassium, in addition to being a good source of manganese, sodium, calcium and zinc, vitamin B12, protein, etc. 8 grams (0.2 oz) of Dulse has just as much Iron as 100 grams (3.5 oz) steak. Very promising research indicates that seaweed fights cancer. Watch this Nutrition Facts video. Buy Locally at a Whole Foods, Publix, Chamberlins or Online Here
Nutritional Yeast (Fortified) – Complete protein (all nine amino acids); Vitamin B power house – excellent source of vitamin B12; trace minerals, such as zinc, selenium, manganese and molybdenum; antiviral & antibacterial. AVOID, if you have Crohn’s Disease.
Steamed Tempeh (Fermented Soy) – Rich in protein, good source of probiotics, contains soy isoflavones which can decrease LDL cholesterol, controls blood sugar, and promotes bone health. Easier to find. Purchase at Whole Foods, your local major grocery store, or Asian market. Steam the Tempeh for approx. 10 minutes. OR,
- Lentils are also a good option – packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium, iron, protein, etc. Rich in polyphenols which have strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, & neuro-protective effects.
Purple Sweet Potato (Steamed/Boiled/Baked) – Nutritional powerhouse; 150 percent more anthocyanin antioxidants than blueberries, which guard against cardiovascular disease and cancer; good source of copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and iron. Anti-inflammatory, lower blood pressure & risk of heart disease, etc. A staple in the Okinawan diet. Okinawa has more people over 100 years old per 100,000 population than anywhere else in the world. Steam/Boil for 30+ minutes or bake for one hour at 350 degrees until tender. Wrap and freeze for large term storage. Purchase at a major food chain (e.g., Whole Foods) or an Asian market.
Fresh Pineapple – cut into cubes including the core and freeze. A natural sweetener & contains the enzyme Bromelain, which prevents indigestion and reduces inflammation. Pineapple core has the highest concentration of Bromelain. GL = 6
Frozen Strawberries – Antioxidant, Vitamin C & fiber. GL=4
Frozen Cranberries – Number one cancer-fighting fruit. Contains the antioxidants proanthocyanidins which help prevent urinary tract infections; polyphenols in cranberries may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD); &, nutrients in cranberries can help slow tumor progression, and can have a positive impact on prostate, liver, breast, ovarian, and colon cancers (Source – Medical News Today). GL-1
Frozen Wild Blueberries – Fiber and antioxidant – highest rated antioxidant fruit in the US. GL = 4
Bok Choy (Steamed or Raw) – Cruciferous vegetable. 28 different polyphenols – antioxidant phytochemicals; high in calcium = body absorbs a higher percentage of calcium from Bok Choy (54%) than dairy (32%). GL=1
- Lightly steam or cook for 5 minutes = if you have a thyroid problem (e.g., hypothyroidism). Heat removes most of the goitrogens, which could exacerbate the problem;
- Wash & chop each stalk and place in snack size zip plastic bags & freeze.
Arugula highest nitric oxide food – critical to blood flow = transporting nutrients to your vital organs, e.g., brain, sexual organs, etc.
Broccoli Sprouts (RINSED) – highest concentration of the antioxidant Sulforaphane, a minimum of 10 times more than broccoli florets – prevents/fights cancer, detoxifies, lowers cholesterol, reduces cardiovascular disease risks, etc.
- If you have cancer or are in remission, then you need to heat your broccoli sprouts first. Heating will produce up to 3.5 times the antioxidant Sulforaphane. See the special instructions on the next page just before the Directions.
Raw & Steamed/Boiled Organic Baby Spinach
- Raw = folate, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, and potassium; &,
- Steamed/Boiled = absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, protein, fiber, zinc, thiamin, calcium, and iron. Important carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, Lutein, and Zeaxanthin (L/Z), which are critical to brain & eye health). These ingredients become more absorbable when activated by the heat. Squeeze ½ lemon on the cooked spinach to make the calcium & iron more absorbable.
Raw & Steamed/Boiled Organic Kale
- Raw is best for fighting cancer;
- Steamed/cooked is best for brain & eye health & lowering cholesterol.
- Highest concentration of L/Z. L/Z are potentially preventive for dementia & Alzheimer’s. However, will not treat Alzheimer’s once the disease is onset. So, eat plenty of L/Z vegetables DAILY to reduce the risk.
- Add a teaspoon of Mustard Seed Powder to the steamed/boiled Kale AFTER IT COOLS to activate the antioxidant Sulforaphane.
Fresh Baby Carrots – rich in vitamin A & beta carotene. Recent research revealed that carrots have phyto (plant) nutrients that protect against cardio-vascular disease and cancer. GL=0 -> The Research.
Turmeric Golden Paste – Combine the organic turmeric, EVOO or avocado oil, & black pepper and make a paste. Click Here on how to make it.
- Organic Turmeric – 20 health benefits, e.g., anti-inflammatory (arthritis), gastro benefits, cancer, Alzheimer’s, fat metabolism & weight management, etc. GL=2. -> The Research. Cheaper Online -> Starwest is one of the best brands. Purchase Online Here
- Ground Black Peppercorn – aids in the absorption of Organic Turmeric & other ingredients/nutrients in the smoothie, GL=1. -> The Research
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil – Essential for the absorption of Organic Turmeric.
- Ceylon Cinnamon – Anti-microbial packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc.
- 1/2 cup turmeric powder (125 mls) – Use organic powder.
- 1 cup water (250 mls) or a bit more to get desired paste consistency
- 1 teaspoons ground black pepper (7.5 mls) (or even 1/2 tsp. if pepper is too irritating)
- ½ teaspoon of Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (70 ml) cold pressed Olive or Avocado Oil enhances the bio-availability of curcumin another seven to eight-fold
Steamed White Button Mushrooms – White Button Mushrooms –> most effective against breast cancer (Nutritionfacts.org) (Steam mushrooms for about five – 10 minutes).
- Research indicates that mushrooms (i.e., shitake, oyster, maitake, and Asian mushrooms) are especially helpful for post-menopausal women in fighting breast cancer. Oyster mushrooms are also high in antioxidants, stimulate the immune system & could also be helpful in preventing cancer. Steam the mushrooms for 5 minutes to remove agaratine;
- Avoid RAW white button mushrooms because agaratine can have a carcinogenic effect = cancer -> Click Here for more info. Make sure you steam them.
- Use the combo of mushrooms above in your smoothie recipe, not just white button mushrooms.
- Reishi Mushroom Powder – You should also add a teaspoon of Reishi Mushroom powder which has several health benefits, including fighting cancer. GL = 4 to 7, depending on the mushroom.
- Freeze & store mushrooms in snack size Zip Loc bags
Cold-brewed Organic Green Tea with one squeezed lemon (number two cancer fighting fruit)
- Cold–brewed tea has more antioxidants. Simply add two bags to approx. 16 oz of water to a container, stir vigorously, cover, & let it sit for 12 hours or more;
Matcha Green tea powder (Matcha Green tea is higher in antioxidants) & one squeezed lemon.
- Pour warm water into a cup & add the tablespoon of Matcha Green tea powder & one squeezed lemon. Stir thoroughly and add to the blender.
- Order -> Matcha Green Tea (Best brand – Matcha Source – Café Grade “Gotcha”)
White Tea Leaves (Cold Brewed) – higher in the antioxidant catechin polyphenols than green tea – fights cancer. Same benefits as green tea. Add lemon juice to enhance the antioxidants. Leaves are better than bags, because bags are processed. Cold brewed is better than hot brewed because cold brewed has more antioxidants. Just add the leaves to water to a container, stir vigorously, cover, & let them stand for approximately 12 hours (overnight). Then add ½ (8 oz cup) – one (16 oz cup) squeezed lemon and refrigerate. Purchase the leaves locally or Online Here.
Lemon – One squeezed lemon = A small but Mighty fruit. Acidic to the taste, but alkaline to the body. High in vitamin C & potassium. Also, has thiamine, riboflavin, folate and B-6. It also enhances the antioxidants in green tea six-fold. Has some cancer-fighting properties.
- Note: Recent research in the International Journal of Cancer has revealed that women who consumed a combination of green tea & mushrooms DAILY reduced their risk of breast cancer as much as 80+% – the sample group was 1000 Pre- & Post-Menopausal Asian women. Must be consumed at the same time. One of my favorite brewed green teas is Mushroom Wisdom Mai Green Tea because it is a combo of Japanese Tea Specialty Premier Green Tea (Matcha) and Maitake Mushrooms. Make sure you add ½ squeezed lemon to your brewed tea = enhances the antioxidants six-fold. Order Here, if you can’t find it locally.
Ginger Tea – has broad-spectrum anti–bacterial, anti–viral, antioxidant, and anti-parasitic properties. Protects against respiratory viruses. Anti-inflammatory. Peel & slice ginger root, then boil for about 20 minutes.
Ground Black Pepper – Helps your digestive system absorb nutrients. OR,
- Bioperine (Black Pepper Extract – Piperine), if you can’t tolerate black pepper. Buy Online Here
- Caution – it may enhance the absorption of some medical drugs, bringing them to dangerous levels in the blood stream. For this reason, the supplement should not be administered at the same time as any medications.
CEYLON Cinnamon – Anti-Clotting actions, preventing unwanted clumping of blood platelets; anti-microbial = good enough be used as a safe preservative; Boosts brain function, cinnamon improved participants’ scores on tasks related to attentional processes, virtual recognition memory, working memory, and visual-motor speed while working on a computer-based program. Natural preservative. GL = 1
- Ceylon Cinnamon is the best because it has less Coumarins = blood thinner. The other version, Cassia (very common) has higher levels of Coumarins and should be consumed in moderation & not over an extended period of time. Frontier Spices produces Ceylon cinnamon. You can find Frontier spices in Whole Foods & other high-end grocery stores. If you can’t find it locally, then Click Here to order 3.5 oz or 16 oz size (cheaper per ounce). In fact, it may be cheaper online.
Cod Liver Oil – most essential forms of Omega 3 (EPA & DHA), Vitamin D (essential for calcium absorption), natural form of Vitamin A. Enhance your immune system, fights cancer, healthier skin, etc. GL=0
- Fermented & Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil are evidently the best; however, they are expensive. I’ve had good results with Carlson’s Super D Omega 3 (Cod Liver Oil) – Whole Foods or other high-end grocery/health store. It’s cheaper when ordered online. Click Here to order via Amazon.
Raw Red Maca (Optional) – Increases women’s libido and fertility in child-bearing women; Good for bone health; May help relieve symptoms of menopause; good for men’s prostates. Purchase Online Here.
Persian Saffron (Optional) – Several health benefits = cancer, memory, etc. According to Dr. Greger in his book, How Not to Die, & video, saffron can help with memory loss. So, it’s a spice worth adding to your smoothies and diet, if you’re having memory problems. Expensive, very small can. However, it’s cheaper than prescriptions. Order Here.
HEATED BROCCOLI SPROUTS = MORE ANTIOXIDANTS
If you heat broccoli sprouts to 158-140 degrees Fahrenheit (70-60 degrees Celsius) for 10 minutes, it kills the Epithiospecifier Protein (ESP) in the sprouts and releases 3.5 times more Sulforaphane in the sprouts. So, cancer patients & survivors should consume heated broccoli sprouts.
Directions – I heat a pot of water and monitor the temperature, using a store-bought digital cooking thermometer. Once the temperature reaches 158 (70 Celsius), I reduce the heat, let the temperature settle at a little less than 158, & add the sprouts, ensuring that the temperature does not exceed 158 degrees and does not go below 140 (adding the sprouts drops the temperature). Leave them in the heated water for 10 minutes, then remove & drain them. It’s a fairly simple process. I either add the sprouts directly to a salad, sandwich, smoothie or “warm soup” (less than 150 degrees), and eat them, or drain them and add to a zip loc bag and freeze them for later use in my smoothies or soups.
Note: Do not be intimidated by the number of ingredients. A full (e.g., Vitamix 64 oz) blender makes about three-four 16 oz cups, enough for 3-4 adults. Make enough for the week. Cover the cups, freeze them, and allow the smoothies to thaw in the refrigerator the day before consumption the next morning. You’ll note two portions for many ingredients. The lower number is for a 32 oz blender and higher number is for a 64 oz blender.
- Add approximately 4-6 ounces of Purified or Spring Water
- Add one – two scoops of the Vega Berry Sport Protein Powder
- Add one-two tablespoons of Flaxseed Meal/Powder
- Add one-two tablespoons of Chia Seeds
- Add one – two tablespoons of Turmeric Golden Paste
- Add one-two teaspoons of Ceylon Cinnamon
- Add the snack size pack of steamed White Button Mushrooms
- Add one-two teaspoons of Reishi mushroom powder
- Add one snack or sandwich size bag of Broccoli Sprouts
- Add heated Broccoli Sprouts, if you’re a fighting cancer or a cancer survivor; see instructions above.
- Add one snack or sandwich size bag of Bok Choy
- Add one snack or sandwich size bag of steamed/cooked Spinach with lemon juice
- Add one snack or sandwich size bag of steamed & raw Kale
- Add one snack or sandwich size bag of Arugula
- Add ½ -1 pack of steamed Tempeh, or
- One-two tablespoons of cooked Lentils
- Add one-two teaspoons of Dulse Flakes or two-four Nori Sheets
- Add one-two tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast (Fortified)
- Add ¼ – ½ Purple Sweet Potato
- One-Two teaspoons of Ground Black Pepper, or
- Add 3-6 tablets of Bioperine
- Add one-two teaspoons of Red Maca (Optional)
- Add 15–20 strands (filaments) of Golden Persian Saffron (Optional)
- 4 ounces (32 oz blender) or 6 oz (64 oz blender) of unsweetened cold brewed Organic Green Tea + ½ squeezed lemon, OR;
- Thoroughly mix a teaspoon of Matcha Green Tea powder with squeezed lemon juice & a small amount of warm purified or spring water & pour into the blender. OR,
- Add 4-6 ounces of cold brewed White Tea with ½ squeezed lemon
- Add 2-4 ounces of Ginger Tea
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Coconut Water
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Unsweetened Almond Milk or Ripple Pea Milk
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Organic Apple Juice
- Add approximately 2-4 ounces of Beet Juice
- Add one-two squeezed Lemons – fresh lemon juice.
- TURN ON THE BLENDER & GRIND INITIALLY, & THEN THOROUGHLY BLEND THESE INGREDIENTS. ADD THE ADD’L INGREDIENTS.
- Add one-two Bananas OR small handful of Dried Apricots
- Add eight – 10 or 12-14 Dried Dates
- Add four-eight Prunes
- Add one-two tablespoons of sliced Almonds
- Add 4-5 pieces of Organic Baby Carrots
- Add one teaspoon (32 oz blender) or one tablespoon (64 oz blender) Cod Liver Oil
- Add 4-6 cubes of Frozen Fresh Pineapple
- Add five to six Frozen Strawberries
- Add three to four tablespoons of Frozen Wild Blueberries
- Add two-three tablespoons of Frozen Cranberries
- TURN ON THE BLENDER & GRIND INITIALLY, & THEN THOROUGHLY BLEND THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS; ADD ADDITIONAL WATER OR ALMOND MILK IF NECESSARY.
- VITAMIX or similar blender – Blend thoroughly until smooth. Will take about one-two minutes with a Vitamix; two-three minutes with a regular blender. Click Here to get a discount on a Vitamix. I purchase the reconditioned ones = 5-year warranty.
MAKES ABOUT Four-Six 12 Oz Cups. Freeze them. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and consume the next day = Grab & Go!!
Remove any ingredients to which you may be allergic, or will adversely affect pregnant women or children younger than 6 years old.
Note: First week – If you are not accustomed to a high fiber diet, then you should drink 12 oz or less to give your digestive system time to adjust to the fiber. This smoothie will make some people kings and queens as they will find themselves very often & “comfortably” seated upon the porcelain throne!!